Thursday 9 August 2012

Ulinzi Stars dim stubborn Sony Sugar as Leopards match is called off

 Coach Sammy Simiyu of Ulinzi
By Fred Maingi in Nairobi
Kenya`s  Military soccer team Ulinzi Stars put up a gallant show to defeat stubborn Sony Sugar 2-1in a thrilling ongoing Kenya Premier League (KPL) top 8 return leg clash staged before a heavy down pour at the Nyayo National Stadium on the night of Wednesday, August 8.
The first leg encounter staged last Wednesday at the Moi
International Sports center (Kasarani) ended in a 1-1 stalemate.

Nevertheless, the match was stopped for almost 20 minutes in the
72nd minute   following heavy rains that turned the pitch to a
‘swimming pool.
After waiting for 15 minutes, the match officials recalled both
teams to resume play with Ulinzi Stars leading 2-0.
Bulky Wycliffe Ochomo and Anthony Nderitu scored both goals
for the Nakuru Soldiers before the breather to set up a dramatical
second half that was marked with heavy rains.

Ismael Dunga scored for the Awendo side in the dying minutes
after Enock Agwanda’s attempt hit the post before rebounding back for
Dunga to slam home their consolation goal amid thunderous cheers.

The win means that Ulinzi goes through to the showpiece event 3-2 on
aggregate after holding their opponents to a 1-1 draw in the first
leg, match played last week.

The two-goal win was well earned, but the scoreline masked a very good
performance from a hardworking Sony outfit.
Meanwhile, the second Kenya Premier League (KPL) match pitting
Rangers and AFC Leopards at the same venue did not take off following
a heavy down pour.
After inspecting the pitch, referee Richard Obare and his assistant
declined to start off the match despite both set of players assembling
at the pitch.
Talking to our writer after the match, Obare said the pitch was
in pathetic condition that could have turned fatal to the players.
”The pitch was in pathetic condition. Fifa rules do not allow a
match to continue or take off in such a poor state of the pitch. Fans
could have made their own judgment but we as match officials went
round the pitch and saw the conditions of the pitch. It was absolutely
terrible” Observed Obare at the dressing room.
The match has been re-scheduled for today, Thursday at 12pm.Another giant team Gor Mahia are scheduled to face off with Tusker in the return Top 8 clash
on Thursday at the Nairobi City Stadium. In the first leg, Gor edged out
the Ruaraka Bottlers with a solitary goal converted from the spot by
Ivans Anguyo.

No comments:

Post a Comment