Sunday, 19 August 2012

Former Kenya Soccer team Captain career hangs in balance

Pascal Ochieng

By Fred Maingi in Nairobi

The future of former Harambee Stars captain Pascal Ochieng  at Simba Sports Club is threatened.Winstone Kitui, secretary-general of
Ochieng’s former club AFC Leopards, expressed disappointment that the
defender has joined the Tanzanian champions on a two-year-deal.

He signed a six-month contract with league leaders Leopards in
June.“He should have known better,” Kitui said. “He’s a seasoned
player who risks putting himself in a very precarious position. I
advised him when he didn’t have a club and we gave him a chance to
join us.”

Having joined Leopards from Rangers FC over unpaid dues, Ochieng had
not trained with Ingwe for the past two weeks as news of his
whereabouts left his club bewildered.

The Defender of the Year in the Kenya Premier League Awards last year
has been unsettled since leaving Rangers. He had unsuccessful trials
with Pretoria University. Equally appalled was Leopards’ tactician Jan
Koops, the Dutchman saying: “For him to just walk out on us with no
communication is the least we expected of him.

“Simba also did not talk to any of our officials; besides, was there
any medical done on the player?”
However, without revealing names, Simba’s signing committee chairman
Zacharia Hanspope said they had been talking with Leopards regarding
Ochieng. Ochieng has since been paraded in Simba colours

Meanwhile reigning Kenyan Premier League Champions Tusker FC revived their hopes
of retaining the glamour trophy after licking visiting Sony Sugar 1-0
in a thrilling tie staged at the Hope Centre on Saturday 18 August
2012 .
Tusker proved even without the presence of   sacked coach Sammy
Omollo life will continue,put up a  gallant show to claim all the
three points on offer.

The winning goal that made all the difference came  in the 87th minute
from the spot.Peter Opiyo, a former Thika United and Gor Mahia
midfielder lifted the spirits of his  team and acting coach George
Maina  after a  Sony Sugar player  was spotted by referee Dan Ongidi
having handled the ball. The goal came within minutes of a disallowed
Jockins Atudo goal, off a flick from a corner.

The win improves Tusker’s haul to 39 points after 20 rounds of play to
come within five points of leaders AFC Leopards. Sony Sugar remains
tenth with 25 points.
 In another late kick off match staged at the same venue that was
beamed live on Supersport TV channel,Sofapaka held Nairobi City Stars
to a barren draw.
 The match started at a high tempo with both teams searching for an
early goal, but none of them managed to break the deadlock.
Prolific striker John Baraza could have put the visitors ahead in the
15th minute but headed wide Joseph Nyaga's cross.
Just a few minutes after the half hour mark, keeper Duncan Ochieng'
came-out running and denied Francis Thairu a precious chance.
Batoto Ba Mungu could have earned an injury time victory but Demonde
Selenga's close range shot was saved by Kagunzi.
Following the draw, the former KPL champions have now dropped down to
the third place, 15 points ahead of 13th placed City Stars.
 The League  continues on Sunday August 19 with four matches on he
card including the eagerly awaited Top Eight grand  finale pitting
Gor Mahia  against defending champs Ulinzi Stars  at the  60,000
seater  Kasarani stadium.

No comments:

Post a Comment