HAIKOU, Aug. 18 (Xinhua) -- A five-star hotel in south China's Hainan Province was fined 618,000 yuan (about 97,200 U.S. dollars) Saturday after 141 people was sickened by food poisoning Sunday, according to local food safety watchdog.
The Sanya City Food and Drug Administration also confiscated materials used to make food that allegedly sickened vacationers.
|Chinese food.Internet Pictures|
Salmonella was detected in samples from the suspect food.
The municipal government of Sanya, a city known as a tourist resort, has called for supervision of food security in its restaurants, including those in hotels, to be strengthened. (Xinhua)