Aug. 28 (Xinhua) -- Cameroon's key striker Samuel Eto'o Fils has turned down an invitation to return to the national team for the 2013 African Nations Cup first leg qualifier
against Cape Verde Islands on September 8.
The striker, ending eight months of suspension for leading a strike to claim unpaid bonuses, made the decision because "there has been no reply to some questions he raised,"
state radio reported on Monday evening. A letter by the 31-year old striker, addressed to the Cameroon football federation and published on his website, said the
environment in the Cameroon team is still plagued by 'amateurism and bad management'. "I regret to inform you I have decided not to participate in any game with the
national team since the weaknesses I kept denouncing as a captain have not been solved," said Eto'o, now playing for Russia's wealthy Premier League club Anzhi
Makhachkala, after FC Barcelona in Spain and Inter Milam in Italy. "The national team environment is still made up of amateurism and bad management which do not suit the
requirements for high-level sport," added the four-time African Footballer of the Year who has played for his country more than 100 times. "I am sure all (Indomitable) Lions
lovers will understand my move which is only aimed at drawing attention on the necessity to have a more professionnal management of this team. This team is an institution
which brought a lot to our country and we can still expect a lot from it," he said.
The two-leg match series between Cameroon and Cape Verde Islands will decide a place at the 2013 finals to take place in South Africa. His declination to return to the team
may now pave the way forward for national coach Denis Lavagne's decision to appoint a new captain for the squad.The captain of the Lions indomptables was suspended
from the team last December for leading a strike in a friendly against Algeria for unpaid participation bonuses.Last week, His name figured among 23 players called up for the
September 8 game in the West African nation. (Xinhua)