By Fred Maingi
Portugal has replaced Scotland in the forthcoming Safaricom Sevens
scheduled for September 21-23 at the Nyayo National Stadium in
Safari sevens organizing committee chairman Sasha Mutai said Portugal
have confirmed their participation in tournament after Scotland
pulled out of the event on Monday.
Scotland had earlier been picked to replace former champions British
Army before they also pulled out from the tournament.
Spain , Portugal and Western Province from South Africa are the latest
to confirm participation for the Safaricom .
Spain will be coming for the second successive year at the tournament.
They made their debut at last year's event, reaching the main cup
quarter finals where they lost 17-0 to losing finalist Samurai, before
losing in the plate semis, going down to eventual plate winners
The 15 man contingent consisting of 12 players and three officials is
expected in the country next week.
Mutai said in total there will be sixteen teams during the tournament
and some of the teams will start arriving as early as next week to get
a feel of the conditions and acclimatise before the tournament.
He was speaking when tournament received a major boost from CMC motors
announcing a kshs 1.3 kshs million sponsorship coupled with a special
logistics package for the 16 participating teams
CMC will also provide transport for the teams from the airport to the
hotels and to Nyayo stadium.