Wednesday 24 October 2012

Uganda Cranes Coach says they have no plans for Sserunkuma


 Bobby Williamson
By Fred Maingi
Gor Mahia sensational  striker Daniel Sserunkuma’s  hopes of playing for Uganda National soccer team(The Cranes) hit a  snag after coach Bobby Williamson admitted he was not in his plans.
   He said despite the player’s impressive form with Gor Mahia where he remains the second highest scorer with 13 goals, he can be considered in the future since there are many talented players playing in his position.
   “I saw Sserrunkuma last week in their match against  Karuturi.They have a  strong partnership upfront but I have good players  to utilise like Emmanuel Okwi of Simba Tanzania,Brian Umony (KCCA), Hamisi Kiiza  (Yanga - Tz), and  Robert Ssentongo (URA).”Observed Williamson.
  Moreover, added Williamson“It puts him in the (Cranes) frame but I don’t think he will be selected. As I said I need only four strikers. I’m not sure he will be involved but as I said, I will discuss it with the technical committee. “We have young players playing in Uganda who are also pushing their chances. I can’t say he is not in the frame. We shall still consider him in the future”
Fifa eligibility rules (2004) state a player must either have lived in a country (he intends to play for) for at least two years, or have a parent or grandparent who was born there. Sserunkuma is a few months from making two years in Kenya.
    Sserunkuma’s latest goal came in the 1-0 win over Karuturi Sports at the weekend, which brought his total to 13, four behind lead scorer, Sofapaka’s John Baraza.
Sserunkuma joined  City Stars, in 2011 from Jinja-based Victors FC. He had scored five goals for the Stars before crossing to Gor Mahia after the first round this season.
The striker, whose form has seen  Gor Mahia coach Zradvko Logarusic urge Kenya to snap him up, has expressed his frustration at being ignored by Cranes coach (Bobby Williamson) despite his impressive  form.
    Sserunkuma expressed his desire recently to play for Kenya’s Harambee Stars if they sought his services. “In life people make decisions and I believe this (Kenya) is a country that can help my career grow since I established myself here,” he was quoted saying
   However,the Ugandan coach responded strongly by saying he won’t call up a player because he is wanted by another country.
Sserunkuma, who played for Express before joining Victors, earlier made it clear he wants to play for Kenya since Uganda have shown no interest in him.

No comments:

Post a Comment