Monday 29 October 2012

Tusker Premier league thrown wide open following Tusker`s defeat

By Fred Maingi
Gor Mahia  “Green  Army” erupted to song and dance  on Sunday evening following their 1-0 triumph over defending Tusker Premier League(TPL) champions Tusker in a tension and action packed clash staged before a packed Nairobi City Stadium.
    The match was graced by Kenya Prime Minister Hon.Raila Odinga, Football Kenya Federation(FKF) Chairman Sam Nyamweya, and Kangundo member of Parliament Johnstone Muthama among other sports dignitaries.
    The victory was widely received by Gor Mahia  supporters  who took to the Nairobi Streets after the final whistle.They brought business at the nearby Burma market and the surrounding areas to a standstill.
    Uganda import Dan Sserunkuma  goal in the 16th minute brought down the roof with a rasping shot from almost 30 metres that caught unaware  Tusker custodian Bonface Oluoch.The goal slipped from his hands  but he was late  by few seconds in parrying the ball out of the line with the second lines women Dorcas Wanza  indicating it was a goal.
     The win now places Gor on top of the  summit with 55 points, one point ahead of second and third placed Tusker and AFC Leopards who are tying on 54 points.
    The tension packed thriller saw Tusker make early substitution by resting Joseph Emeka  and introducing lively Joshua  Oyoo  who brought a lot of impact in the match.
   Tusker started making inroads  and ten minutes later, Gor Mahia  sensed danger by bringing  in David Owino  for towering Donald  Mosoti to contain Tusker pressure. Gor secured two corners against  their opponents  three before the breather.
     Gor Mahia came close to scoring in the 65th minute when Edwin Lavatsa shot at the waiting hands of Tusker custodian(Bonface Oluoch) while Tusker could have levelled the score on 93rd minute when Jockins Atudo from a sumptuous  corner by Humphrey Okoti blasted over the bar with a yawning net smiling at him.
  Both teams made several substitutions with Tusker introducing Joseph Mbugi, David  Nyanzi for exhausted Patrick Kagogo and Dennis Mukaisi. Gor rested Joseph Njuguna and Moses  Otieno and brought in Kevin Omondi and Moses Otieno in the second half.
       Tusker coach Robert Matano said he has not given up the title adding that there  were two more matches that can decide the League title.
   His  Gor counterpart Dravko Logarusic said he was delighted by the win but said  the League title was still open to the top three  teams in the radar.

In other matches,the clash between Chemelil Sugar and Muhoroni Youth was postponed in the 25th minute owing to heavy rains. The match according to referee Dan Ongidi will be replayed on Monday October 29th at Chemelil Sports complex from 11am.Both team had tied 0-0 .
   At the Afraha Stadium,Ulinzi Stars  were held to a  1-1  draw by visiting Thika United.Thika  took an early barely after two minutes through top hit man  Kepha Aswani  before James Mulinge  equalised for the Military soldiers  on 17th minute from the spot.
   At the Bukhungu Stadium in Kakamega,Rangers  came from two goals  down to defeat match favourites Western Stima  3-2

No comments:

Post a Comment