Saturday 17 November 2012

Gormahia silence their bitter rivals AFC Leopards in Kenya soccer derby

By Fred Maingi
Gor Mahia proved their critics wrong with a 2-1 triumph over their bitter rivals Afc Leopards in one of the semi finals of the Football Kenya Federation (FKF) tie staged at the 60,000 seater Moi International Stadium.
  The winner of the tournament will represent the country in the CAF Africa Confederation Cup.
   Gor suffered an early blow barely after nine minutes after their Ugandan lethal striker Dan Sserunkuma was seriously injured.He was wheeled off to the touchline but could not make a comeback. He was replaced by Edwin Lavatsa who gave a good account of himself in the pitch.

  Gor took the lead after 12minutes through Kevin Omondi who beat his marker Edwin Wafula to place the ball far beyond Leopards keeper Patrick Matasi.
   Encouraged, Gor came in the picture but could not translate their chances.However, AFC Leopards were more rampant midway in the first half where they gave Gor hectic moments.
  Gor Keeper Ivo Mapunda was a busy man as he was kept on his toes by Leopards strikers Mike Barasa, Allan Wanga, Paul Were and Jimmy Bagaye.
    Gor extended their lead on 52nd minute through Moses Odhiambo whose rasping shot found Matasi in Leopards goal bemused.Leopards defenders felt Odhiambo was  offside only to find out referee  David  Omweno had different ideas.
   Charles Okwemba pulled one back for Leopards in the 81st minute.Surprisingly, the match did not attract the good attendance associated with the derby owing to security scare.
   Last weekend, Gor Mahia fans were engaged in violence and criminal acts after they were held to a 1-1 draw by visiting Thika United thereby spoiling their ambition of clinching the Kenya premier League title.
  Gor Mahia will now face the winner between defending Champions League champions Tusker and Sofapaka FC.Both teams will face off in the other semi final tie at the same venue on Sunday.
Meanwhile Hassan Wasswa will be Uganda’s skipper in this year’s CECAFA Senior Challenge Cup.
Wasswa was appointed after Godfrey Walusimbi rejected the opportunity to captain the team in the tournament that is set to kick off on Saturday 24 November in Kampala.
Walusimbi told me he wasn’t ready. I think he is ready but I can never force a player to take up responsibility if he thinks or feels otherwise, Uganda Cranes coach told Press.
Wasswa is a currently club-less after he was released by Turkish side Kayseri Erciyesspor. He has previously played for Kampala City FC, Ethiopian giants St. Georges, F.C Cape Town, Turkish sides Kardemir Karabukspor and Altay S.K.
He has been capped 12 times by the Ugandan National team.
Uganda has been pooled alongside rivals Kenya, Ethiopia and newcomers South Sudan in Group A.

No comments:

Post a Comment