Sunday 11 November 2012

Barasa attribuets his scoring magic to teamwork and dedication

By Fred Maingi
Tusker premier League(TPL) top scorer John Barasa has attributed his current performance owing to hard work and teamwork from the  entire playing unit.
   Speaking on phone after scoring his 18th goal of the season, Barasa who scored the second goal that steered Sofapaka to a  2-1 triumph over Karuturi Sports thanked the Almighty for giving him energy to contain the heavy pressure in the League.
    Barasa  who missed last weekends  2-1 loss to Kenya Commercial Bank(KCB) at the Nairobi City Stadium dedicated  the winning goal to his young daughter who was buried last weekend.
  “ Though I feel happy to emerge the top scorer, I will dedicate the goal that has made all the difference to my family especially after losing my lovely kid recently.I  thank everyone  who supported me including the entire team and  club President Elly Kalekwa for the encouragement they gave me especially after the sad news.” Observed Barasa..
  Barasa  arguably the oldest and experienced striker in the League declined to comment whether he will commit his  future next season to Sofapaka.
  “What I can say, I will be around.You will be  able to see me  kicking the ball but I cant tell you which club I  will be playing.Hopefully I might stick around with Sofapaka” said he.
  He has now overshadowed his Gor Mahia  counterpart Dan Sserunkuma for the Golden-boot title.The latter has scored 17 goals.
Last season, Ulinzi Stars forward  Stephen Waruru emerged the best scorer in the league with 12 goals to his credit
Despite his age, Baraza, who clinched the Golden Boot title in 2009 and 2010 has been in scintillating form and could  go in the annals of history as the oldest player to win the title.However,Maurice ‘Sonyi”Ochieng still remains the highest scoring scorer in 1976 with 26 goals. Sonyi is the father to AFC Leopards striker Victor Ochieng.
Thika United’s Kepha Aswani, Gor’s Rama Salim and Ulinzi Stars’ striker Evans Amuoka are tied for third spot with twelve goals each.
Paul Kiongera of KCB is fourth after finishing the season with 11 goals, one ahead of Mathare United’s hit-man Jesse Were
Thika United head coach John Kamau has paid tribute to his players for showing maturity in their weekend 1-1 draw against League favourites Gor Mahia.
  He lauded his youthful players saying they were capable of maintaining pressure from Gor Mahia chanting fans who came with a fixed mind of winning the match at all cost.He further praised the match officiating of Damaris Kimani as superb saying it was  worth to be emulated by other whistlers.
  “Her superb officiating made all the difference.Some few decisions were wanting but basically, I’m happy with her officiating and I would urge other whistlers to follow suit’ said a delighted Kamau after the match

No comments:

Post a Comment