Tuesday, 11 December 2012

Mali PM resigns as Mandela is reported to be suffering from lung infection

Prime Minister Cheick Modibo Diarra of the transitional Malian government announced resignation and dissolved the cabinet early Tuesday, state TV reported.
Announcing his resignation on TV earlier Tuesday, Diarra said, "I apologize to all Malians who suffer because of the crisis." He also expressed thanks to all the ministers of his government and their employees. He said he wished success to the new full government which will be formed. The PM's resignation followed his arrest by the military. .
Military sources said Diarra was arrested earlier Tuesday by troops supportive of ex-coup leader Amadou Sanogo.
The prime minister was preparing to travel to Paris late Monday for medical examination when he was detained, the sources added.
Diarra, who had been acting prime minister since April, had called for international military intervention in northern Mali, which has been run by rebels since June.

Former South African president Nelson Mandela has suffered a recurrence of a previous lung infection and is receiving appropriate treatment, the Presidency said on Tuesday.
"Doctors have concluded the tests, and these have revealed a recurrence of a previous lung infection, for which Madiba is receiving appropriate treatment and he is responding to the treatment," the Presidency said.
"President (Jacob) Zuma thanks the public for continuous support to former president Mandela and his family at this time," it said.
Mandela, 94, remains at 1 Military Hospital in Pretoria, where he was admitted on Saturday for medical tests. The public had been anxiously awaiting word on his conditions.
In response to public concern, the Presidency said on Monday that there was no cause for alarm over his health.
"As said before, former President Mandela will receive medical attention from time to time which is consistent with his age," the Presidency said on the day Mandela was admitted to the hospital.
On Sunday morning, Zuma visited Mandela and found him "comfortable, and in good care." Zuma said there was no need to panic as Mandela was doing well.
This is not the first time that Mandela was hospitalized in the past two years. In January 2011, he was admitted to a Johannesburg hospital for an acute respiratory infection. In February this year, he spent a night in a hospital for a minor diagnostic surgery to determine the cause of an abdominal complain.
Mandela, who was imprisoned for 27 years during apartheid, was elected the country's first black president in 1994. (Xinhua)

No comments:

Post a Comment